Inadequate prep is the most common reason for deck stain failure. Set your deck up for success with these deck prep guidelines.
Follow these guidelines to prepare for applying stains. Make sure the surface is clean (no dust, dirt, wood fibers or grease), dry and free from mildew. When a surface is not cleaned and prepared properly, the coating and project are at risk to fail.
- Thoroughly sweep the deck to remove debris.
- Liberally apply cleaner using a roller or pump sprayer (wear protective equipment to avoid contact with skin and eyes).
- Allow the cleaner to set for 15 minutes. Mist your work area with a garden hose to keep it wet while the cleaner soaks into the wood.
- After 15 minutes, work the cleaner into the surface using a stiff synthetic-bristle brush. Scrub to remove residue thoroughly.
- Use a garden hose to completely rinse the cleaner from the wood.
- You may apply stain or coating once the surface is clean, dull and dry.